View Single Post
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 09:28   #6
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexO View Post

that's not how I was planning to do it at all but makes a lot of sense!
You were going to tighten the nut before re-assembly while you had the wishbone and the bush off the car?
I don't think that's advisable, because as with all suspension components, you need it tightened up in the normal riding position, because otherwise there will be a permanent twist on the bushes and they will fail.

Also I don't think it's possible, because once tightened onto the wishbone shaft I doubt you would be able to twist the bracket into alignment with the holes.
In the past I've managed it on the car using a mixture of sockets, ring spanner and open-ended spanner. It was very slow, half a flat at a time by swapping tools. Perhaps a better socket type would have worked better.

I also vaguely recollect that the offside was especially hard to get at - maybe I ended up removing the exhaust downpipe?

I was going to add that probably you can at least remove the two components still bolted together, if you adjust the suspension height to take the strain off the bolts while you undo them. But I have a feeling I found that the bracket fouled the bodywork as I tried to jiggle the wishbone out.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post: