View Single Post
Old Jun 14th, 2019, 10:32   #14
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benholder90 View Post
You talking about the t5? What about the d5 compared with s40 d5?
He also meant more in general terms of P1 platform.
Just so you understand - P1 platform is basically S40/V50 from 2004-2012 model years, those are, in simple terms - Ford Focus in nice suit, as most of parts (suspension, drivetrain, electrical components etc) are taken from Ford. You will see FoMoCo logo on a lot of items.
S60/V70 were built on P2 platform that was designed by Volvo and most if not all parts were actually Volvo made/designed. Hence its "the last proper volvo".

As for engines, S40/V50 used whole gamut of engines that were non-volvo (diesels were french, petrol was mazda/ford) but ONLY engines that were different and made actually by Volvo was the 5-cylinder ones so D5/T5 and 2.4i. Ford Focus st/rs is actually using volvo engine, not the other way around.

If you cant decide on S60/S40 my advice is - try driving both. Regardless of engine, the driving feel and parts quality are so different that you will be able to decide much easier. S60 is a huge mofo comparing to S40, same as when you park V50 beside V70 you realise how small the first one is.
As for engines - its much easier to find S60 with good engine (2.0T or D/T5) as those were premium cars and bigger engine was something "given". 5-pots in S40/V50 are so rare because in europe those were a bit of "abomination", even seeing how cramped those are in engine bay you can understand it was a bit "mad idea but hey, lets do it".

Also I can tell you from my experience, older S60 with mid-spec (so lets say 2.0T) will feel much more premium than S40/V50 with mid spec (lets say 1.8 or 2.0D) from the same year.
its just different beasts.

Last edited by LizardOfBodom; Jun 14th, 2019 at 11:59.
LizardOfBodom is offline   Reply With Quote