View Single Post
Old Jun 15th, 2019, 20:14   #19
Benholder90

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5R92011 View Post
The engines are reliable and will do big miles, but at 137k miles the engine will probably feel down on power due to a number of sensors wearing out, so factor in getting those replaced 'as and when you can' if the car feels underwhelming at higher RPM.

Those sensors are:

- TCV (Turbo control valve) - accessible via drivers side wheel arch, or from underneath.
- CBV (Compressor bypass valve) - same as TCV bit a bit trickier to reach.
- Crankcase breather valve - accessible via the top left of engine, by the turbo.
- MAP sensor - sits in the intercooler, accessible via bumper removal.

In terms of major stuff that you'd want to check before buying:

- Has the Timing belt been replaced? (due at 108,000 miles)
- Has the Oil Filter Housing /Diaphram been replaced? (this is likely to have been changed by now, given the age of the mentioned car, but worth checking anyway)

Does it have a sunroof? May be worth avoiding sun roof models due to known issues with water collecting in footwells.

Also the headlights on the car will be RUBBISH, but it is possible to upgrade the internal projector units for approx £120 which makes an enormous difference to the light output, even with regular bulbs.

In terms of high mileage, I will say that Volvo make excellent quality engines that last a long time, provided you do the required maintenance.
You mentioned about the car feeling down on power .. we were talking about the t5 engine but I suppose that goes for any engine?

I looked at a d5 today with 186k miles .. would the same apply to this car also? Would it be worth replacing these sensors you speak of? I mean can you really improve the power of the engine just by changing these sensors? Is there anything else one can do apart from this?
Benholder90 is offline   Reply With Quote