View Single Post
Old Jan 17th, 2020, 21:30   #13
Dash300
High Grand Master Member

I run a boat out of Plymouth with a Volvo TAMD 41p 6 cylinder 6 ltr turbo diesel. Fantastically reliable smooth as silk and one of the last Volvo diesels that you can work on without a laptop. The issue I and many other marine diesels suffer increasingly from is 'Diesel Bug' It is caused by the increasing concentration of Bio elements added to the base diesel. It's called fame diesel (Fatty Acid Methyl Ester) and it is this the bug feeds on along with any moisture (water in the tank) It manifests itself as long strands of fine silk like gel which builds up and clogs the fuel filter and can ultimately starve the engine of fuel to a complete stop. Not good when mid Channel! Despite all diesel polishing products and tank washes it just comes back time after time. I am resigned to just replacing the primary fuel filter regularly. Not sure how much Bio if any is in road diesel but if there is and fuel rests in the tank for any length of time it could happen. Overwinter I brim the boat tank to minimise any space for condensation. Never had this issue in the traditional red diesel but it is a now a major issue and an expensive one. Lets hope it doesn't manifest itself in road diesel.

Maybe the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about!

Last edited by Dash300; Jan 17th, 2020 at 21:32.
Dash300 is offline   Reply With Quote