View Single Post
Old Mar 6th, 2015, 20:13   #20
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damov70 View Post
Hi
I have recently purchased a 98 v40 1.8 & have a few questions.
Whilst checking the oil level after doing an oil &filter change a few days previous, I noticed this white creamy sludge on the dipstick although none under the oil cap. Do I need to drop the sump on this or is it something else ? The v70 I had, never had this problem and I ran her up to almost 300k miles.
Secondly I have quite a lot of water in the spare wheel area, I replaced the rubber around the boot but it still appears, where is this coming from and how do I fix?

Any advice or pointing me in the right direction would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Damien
These engines are notorious for mayo in the dipstick tube. The tube is exposed on the front of the engine and suffers from condensation particularly on short journeys. My 2.0lt phase1 suffered during the winter as I only ran short journeys to work and back. Periodically I removed the dipstick tube and pushed a piece of rag wrapped round a piece of wire through to clean it out. The engine never suffered any head gasket failure or goo under the filler cap. Oil was changed ever 5-7000mls and was still in good condition when scrapped at 370,000mls. Only scrapped due to bodywork needed.

Water in spare wheel well most likely coming in around rear light gaskets.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post: