View Single Post
Old Jan 11th, 2019, 16:03   #3
whitedavidp

Default Maybe not totally bad news

Hi and thanks. I have been spending way too much time trying to figure this all out. I have found that you are correct that there is only 1 true assembly spec'ed for use in the USA. And you are correct that there are Euro-spec'ed assemblies (both Hella and Bosch versions) that do swap the reverse lamp with a "fog" lamp. And they MAY not be legal in the USA (rather doubt that anywhere anyone would be able to notice this).

But it turns out that there are both Bosch and Hella assemblies that appear to be at least superficially identical to the US part. They both have no "fog" lamp and the reverse lens is in the same position and size as the US assembly. The Bosch is listed as 1235585 and 1235586. The Hella as 1234670 and 1234669. Finding actual photos of these items has not been easy.

There may be small technical differences between these and the US assembly. But I cannot seem to find any details. These alternative variants seem to be form/fit/function compatible with the US variant (note that the gaskets do not seem to be compatible between Hella and Bosch). There is only one wiring harness listed in the parts manual. So that means the connectors must be the same and suggests the same for the wiring (although it seems that moving the wires in the connector is not hard to accomplish should that be needed).

One thing I am completely sure about is that the cost of the true US assembly is extremely high while the cost of the alternatives (especially the Bosch) is within reason and my reach.

Cheers!
whitedavidp is offline   Reply With Quote