View Single Post
Old Feb 13th, 2019, 12:46   #1
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Default Noises from clutch

Hi all,

I've had this noise pretty much since I got the car but it's really starting to annoy me now so I'm looking to get this sorted.

I have two noises both around gearbox area, first is a high pitched squealing bearing noise that I get on a cold start on cold days which goes up and gown with revs but disappears completely if I press the clutch in. The noise does not happen when the engine is hot or on 'cold' starts on a summers day (warmer temps). The noise also stops after about 3 minutes when everything has warmed up.

The second noise is a constant rattle from gearbox area when engine is hot but this goes away when the clutch is pressed, I'm pretty sure this is the springs on the DMF so that'll need replacing.

The high pitched one is more of a concern for me. I expect it's either something clutch related or worst case the gearbox input shaft bearing but I can't find any similar noises to identify it with.

I've uploaded a video of the first noise but the volume is a bit low

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbL2BWcovf0

I usually forget it has this issue during summer because it never does it, then every winter it sits in the back of my mind every morning when I start it up.

Anyone had this noise before?