View Single Post
Old Jan 29th, 2020, 09:09   #7
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockheadrumble View Post
When I'm changing gear i don't have a problem, its when coming to a stop that the revs drop really low.

Dave you mentioned a throttle dampener. I wonder if partly the reason for low revs could also be related to me having a bigger throttle body?

The low revs are bearable however, i just wanted to check there wasn't a more serious reason for it and from your replies i gather its nothing to worry about, just a bit of a nuisance!

Thanks

Joe
The way the EFi is set up is generally to implement a fuel cut above 1200rpm on the over-run. In other words, close the throttle above 1200rpm and the fuel is cut by the ECU not sending the signal to the injectors to open.

With a smaller throttle body, the idle speed will need a slightly wider opening, even for the base idle speed of about 600rpm so more air will still flow through the throttle body compared to it's overall size.

It could simply be down to poor setting up on the base idle speed, blank off the IACV hoses and see what it idles at once hot. Should be about 600rpm, if not you may have to adjust the throttle butterfly to achieve this. You will then need to readjust the idle microswitch in the TPS by rotating the TPS so when the throttle starts to move on the cable, the switch opens and closes again when the throttle is released.

It could also be that because there is a comparatively smaller throttle opening for the idle speed, by the time the ECU registers the engine speed is under the 1200rpm threshold that it needs longer to restart the injectors - all of this will be in fractions of a second but all adds up to the overall effect.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: