View Single Post
Old Jan 15th, 2020, 21:25   #3
gelertd

I had a battery drain linked to the radio. I suspected it might have been the CEM causing the drain.

A few weeks later I noticed that both front side lights didn't work and shortly thereafter began to get random, bizarre messages (anti skid, ABS faults, engine faults) showing on the DIM. Classic symptoms of a faulty CEM.

Sure enough after removing the wipers, scuttle cover and wiper motor assembly I was able to access the top of the CEM and found green crustys around some of the terminals on the CEM. On your model year, water is able to get into the top of the CEM and cause corrosion. Volvo do an improved waterproofing kit and can supply ready wired replacement multiplugs if the corrosion is really bad.

I removed the CEM and sent it to Lucaz at volvodiagnostic who was able to repair the module but said the corrosion had gone pretty deep. After installing my original repaired CEM and clearing the various multiple codes all was well. No battery drain, everything works again as it should.

Lucaz advertises on the forum (see 'Problem with ETM DIM or NAVI??? Cheap services here' on traders section) and I can highly recommend his work. At the time of writing he charges £150 to repair your faulty CEM.
gelertd is offline   Reply With Quote