Thread: Social Media
View Single Post
Old Apr 11th, 2024, 12:39   #3
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Although I find myself in broad general agreement with the views expressed above, I am not sure that I would want to return to the standards of my first car, a 1951 upright Ford 8HP Anglia either.

Heated seats? Forget them, a heater was a rare optional extra. Vacuum operated wipers that slowed down or stopped when you put your foot down. At least the Anglia had two - later Pops made do with one. Semaphore indicators (Trafficators) that often required a strategically placed thump on the door pillar to make them work.

Six volt electrics, with lighting that wouldn't excite an amorous glow worm. 30 grease points requiring attention every 1000 miles, ditto an oil change where no filter was fitted - you could always buy an external bypass one as an optional extra which extended the interval to 3000. The list goes on and on.

I agree that today's cars are too complex, fragile and expensive, but I wouldn't want to return to the likes of the Ford. No, I think the sweet spot has to lie somewhere in the 70s / 80s. Early enough to not be computers on wheels, but late enough to have a reasonable a level of kit, be reliable, safe and rust resistant. A bit like my old 740, in fact!

Regards, John.

Last edited by john.wigley; Apr 11th, 2024 at 12:41.
john.wigley is offline   Reply With Quote