View Single Post
Old Dec 2nd, 2008, 12:52   #28
capt jack
VOC Member

Default Converting a petrol car to LPG - Just Do It!

4 years ago, I wanted a diesel V70 auto - but could not find anything decent, with reasonable miles at a reasonable price.

Answer: Buy a petrol car and have the gas conversion at Autogas 2000 Thirsk. Petrol cars cost less than the diesel equivalents, specs are higher, and miles generally lower as they are more likely to be privately-owned from new, rather than being ex-company hacks.

120,000 gas miles later (170,000 in total) I still have a brilliant fully-specced car (auto box, leather, ecc, alloys, etc etc etc) that I would not swap for all the tea in China.

I get 25-27mpg on gas, which even at today's higher gas prices, equates to a cost of just 9p per mile.

The conversion cost was recouped in less than 25,000 miles, and I reckon I've also by now recovered the full purchase price of the car.

Autogas 2000 are a BRILLIANT company. Last week, and for the first time in 120k miles, I had a problem with the LPG kit - a pressure valve had failed. Autogas 2000 fitted a new valve in less than ten minutes - at absolutely no charge. (By the way, HM QE2 also runs on LPG - her Roller was converted by Autogas 2000).

If you plan to keep a car for a good length of time - and as it's a Volvo why would you ever want anything else - then LPG makes a lot of sense.

Downsides? There is a marginal loss of performance, but not really significant. You lose the spare wheel well - but hell, a V70 has a huge boot anyway! I still keep a full size spare in a black nylon zip-up case and have never been stuck for boot capacity. You get the LPG filler cap - but that can be sprayed up to match the car.

I've never had any problem in finding LPG filling stations, and anyway, if you did run out of gas the car still runs on petrol! Range with mine is between 250 and 280 miles on LPG, plus the 450 or so on petrol, depending on how it's driven.

I've owned and driven many cars over the years, including 10 other Volvos, a Merc, Hondas, Fords, Vauxhalls and a Peugeot. This combination of a V70 and LPG is without doubt the best automotive decision I ever made.

Join the elite - go Volvo, go LPG!

Cheers

Jack

Last edited by capt jack; Dec 2nd, 2008 at 12:58.
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post: