View Single Post
Old May 6th, 2016, 07:47   #4
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudd View Post
Hi I have an xc90 and my daughter has a 2002 v40 1.9d.
we recently purchased the car so want to change belts and tensioners etc.
according to the information i have I need tools- MB9, 91668 microphone and
MB996048 harmonic tensioner, piece of metal bolted to crank. is this a must. any advice much appreciated.
Some forum members have managed to make good equivalent tools for doing the cam belt and removing the EGR without splitting it.

This forum has several guides on how to do the belts (Google Volvo forum, cam belt and tensioner), although it's best to try and get a copy of the Volvo program, or ZF(Sachs) document downloads.

It's a fairly difficult job, that will take a good Indy 3 to 5 hours, if they do the job correctly and change the cam belt, tensioner, water pump (If it's a gen OEM Volvo unit, remove and inspect for play or case cracks etc), coolant flush, new thermostat (If not recent or OEM standard), new Aux belt, Aux belt tensioner (They tend to cause trouble after 100K if not replaced and an Aux belt failure at high revs will probably wipe out the cam belt and top end), idler pulley (If worn) and EGR (Clean or replace), in addition to normal service items.
The Gates cam belt kit (Includes a water pump), genuine Conti (Made in Germany only), or even real Volvo parts are all good.

Umm, I presume the microphone belonged to Velvis!

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote