View Single Post
Old May 6th, 2016, 21:33   #9
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyracer996 View Post
this is one of the easiest belts iv ever done to be honest, I use no locking tools at all.

line the bottom end up with the marks, line the top pulley up with its mark, loosen the tensioner and remove the belt.

refit with no slack on the opposite side to the tensioner, use a screwdriver to lever the tensioner and nip up the nut. experience will tell you how tight to make it, if you can twist the belt a little then you should be grand.

turn her over by hand a few times and line your marks back up, if all good then build back up ?

good luck
Well granted that I've only done the belt on the one car but I'd suggest not using any locking tool is a plan to get a P0015 error a few days later and then spending weeks trying to figure out what you did wrong. If you've got the expertise, background and confidence that you'll be able to line up everything just so, I guess you can try it without tools but man, it's a pain in the #$ to do this job twice so my opinion would be to at least get the cam locking tool specific to this vehicle (the cams get locked from the backside). I would also use the crank locking pin but I'm willing to accept that that part is optional. You don't need a fancy counterhold tool. Just make one yourself or use an impact gun to get the crank bolt back on nice and tight.

As per the previous suggestion, making sure that you've got no slack on the rhs of the belt when you are resetting the tension on the tensioner is super key.

Click here for my x40 and V70 P3 repair guides
pierremcalpine is offline   Reply With Quote