View Single Post
Old May 6th, 2016, 23:11   #10
boyracer996

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierremcalpine View Post
Well granted that I've only done the belt on the one car but I'd suggest not using any locking tool is a plan to get a P0015 error a few days later and then spending weeks trying to figure out what you did wrong. If you've got the expertise, background and confidence that you'll be able to line up everything just so, I guess you can try it without tools but man, it's a pain in the #$ to do this job twice so my opinion would be to at least get the cam locking tool specific to this vehicle (the cams get locked from the backside). I would also use the crank locking pin but I'm willing to accept that that part is optional. You don't need a fancy counterhold tool. Just make one yourself or use an impact gun to get the crank bolt back on nice and tight.

As per the previous suggestion, making sure that you've got no slack on the rhs of the belt when you are resetting the tension on the tensioner is super key.
its really not difficult, its a single cam engine with solid cam pulley, ideal for a first attempt at a belt. I would say you timed it up wrong if you got a fault stored or bad running afterwards. Likely didnt turn it over by hand a few times once the new belt was fitted to check your marks lined up again.

Nothing really moves when the belt is removed, the cam pulley may move slightly but its not hard to bring back to the mark, so dont panic.

I usually line the crank up first, then make my own mark on the cam and backing plate. That way you cant go wrong.

Good luck, if you need any help, or get stuck, just ask
boyracer996 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to boyracer996 For This Useful Post: