View Single Post
Old Mar 29th, 2017, 12:13   #14
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGBiFuel View Post
Thank you 'classic' that makes some sense to me... I think. But even with a turbo upping the charge, each cycle, it's doing that with petrol too, so because the engine has to be set-up to manage the lower octane petrol, the problem still hasn't gone away, it's just been eased? What have I missed? I'm guessing in a turbo set-up, you 'could' up the boost under LPG/CNG thus effectively upping the CR thru' other means. Do I have htis right? If so, do most cars allow you to do this?

On my NA car I do have a small drop-off, in peak power and torque, which I would expect, yet it's only noticeable if I press-on in a licence-losing style so frankly I'm not bothered.

And 'Mr Jones' has a set-up (rightly or wrongly) to negate the perceived issue. How should it be set?

The ECU retards the ignition on petrol with the boost.

You do not loose any power with LPG due to the CR as this is the same for both petrol and LPG. Yes LPG could run a higher CR and make more power. LPG does have a lower calorific value so you need to use more than you do petrol to make the same power. The fuel then takes up a bit more space causing you to loose the 1% of power. Old mixer systems loose more but not major
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote