View Single Post
Old Nov 7th, 2019, 11:53   #12
DomF1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancake View Post
Strut mounts look as if they've had it. The oil leak doesn't look to be the main seal. You'd expect the drain hole between the gearbox and engine to be clean if it was the source of the leak. Given the quantity of oil and spread of it, I would hazard a guess that the turbo is the culprit. Not alll 850s came with pollen filters from the factory. I purchased a housing from Minty on here as my own 850 didn't come with a pollen filter.

It's around £300 or so at the minute for all the belts, pulleys, tensioners and water pump from Volvo. If the turbo is leaking, £250-£300 should be enough to have it reconditioned. The top mounts can be fixed without too much expense. If your dampers and springs are serviceable the cost will be kept down. It really depends on how far you would want to go. £1000 could easily address the main issues as well as a few other smaller ones such as the pollen filter and heater matrix. The cost of the car as it stands would need to account for the work and parts required to put it right.
Thanks for all that info - the heater matrix has been fixed so that would remove some cost. but the wheels need a refurb and last test had the following:

Repair as soon as possible (minor defects):
Offside Front Suspension arm ball joint dust cover severely deteriorated (5.3.4 (b) (i))
Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
Oil leak, but not excessive (8.4.1 (a) (i))
Nearside Rear Shock absorbers light misting of oil or has limited damping effect (5.3.2 (b))

With the compression test results and everything else as much as i want an 850R I dont know if this is just going to be too much to take on... I always have a real fear of engine failures and head gasket issues after being stranded one to many times on the road with a steaming car...
DomF1 is offline   Reply With Quote