View Single Post
Old Apr 17th, 2019, 08:59   #2
Dash300
High Grand Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
Shortly after starting a short journey home last night a message popped up to tell me that I needed to add 0.5L of engine oil. I continued home, parked up and turned off, however then realised that I should have parked on a more level location to enable use of the electronic level check. So I immediately restarted the car and moved it; surprisingly the warning message had gone (I did scroll through the messages to check). I then left the car overnight.

This morning I've been out to check the level but - although the level display outline is available - there is no actual level indication shown on the gauge... so now I'm not sure if the electronic dipstick is working OK? I started the engine and just moved the car a few metres and there were no warning messages.

Oil was last changed by a Volvo dealer about 2k miles ago and I last checked the oil level about 1k miles ago (when the electronic level indicated around 75/80%, which is about what I expected). No obvious signs of leakage in the engine bay nor on the ground where the car is usually parked overnight. Car has now done 73k miles.

I do have a litre of the correct spec oil (albeit Shell not Castrol) so I could easily add some, however I've read a few forum posts where some owners in a similar position have ended up over-filling! I have read the owner's manual, but does anyone have any useful experience with this issue?

TIA
No useful experience to contribute, but like all VEA owners I/we have to live in the blind hope that the electronic oil level indicator is up to the job. If there was a retro fit dipstick conversion as there is for the 5 cylinder I would be the first to purchase. For info mine at 92k has never read less than full, so have to assume it is not using any during the 18k I do each year, which is good, if true of course!
Dash300 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dash300 For This Useful Post: