View Single Post
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 23:55   #2
corbsxc90

Hi Neil, If your handbrake shoes are free then I would be looking at possible tight pads in carrier,sticking piston on caliper,collapsing brake hose not allowing fluid to return. If its a binding brake and the disc got really hot due to binding brake I would expect to see the outer edge of the disc red, i.e. the outer most diameter of the disc that corrodes slightly. If the disc got that hot you normally get oxidisation of the corrosion. If the caliper piston can easily be pushed back this would discount a faulty piston or hose problem. Check the caliper sliders for seizing this could be another cause.
With regard to the slight droning, this could be start of a wheel bearing or even a slightly worn tyre, some tyres, especially rears can have uneven tread wear on the tread blocks on the inner edge of the tyre, you sometimes get alternate blocks wearing, sometimes a few, if you jack up the car and turn the wheel you can normally see the "rippling" if you look across the tread area. This can cause a humming about 50mph.
Hope this gives you something to look at,if you want any further help PM me.
Kind regards,
Chris
corbsxc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to corbsxc90 For This Useful Post: