View Single Post
Old Jun 24th, 2014, 12:49   #1
BobS
Master Member

Default Changing the altenator on a V70

Hi,

Just thought I would share my task this morning of changing the alternator on my V70.

The alternator started making a rhythmic grumble on idle so with 165k it was due to be looked at.

I looked at how it would come out. But gone are the days when you removed 3 bolts and a couple of wires and could finish in 20min.

First I disconnected the battery and then took off the belt and I also recommend removing the top radiator hose and unbolt the power steering pump (3 bolts hidden behind the pulley) and gently swing it out of the way. Remove the top 2 long bolts on the air con pump and loosen the bottom 2. then it is only the alternator top bolt.

Examining the old alternator I was shocked at the condition of the pulley. It free-wheeled both ways and seemed to be further out on the shaft. Removing the end dust cap I wondered if there was anything missing (see pic). If there is then it has been missing for over 70k.

Other than the grumbling noise I have had no problems with battery charge so I think I was lucky (for once!).

Bob
PS. Only problem I had was the serpentine belt seemed to be 6in too long! Make a note of how it winds round the pulleys before taking it off!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (213.8 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (246.5 KB, 29 views)