View Single Post
Old Jun 2nd, 2018, 12:20   #24
Faust
Master Member

My Weber is easy to set up (know a bit about Webers and sod all about SUs!). My SUs were past their best (still got 'em on a manifold in my garage) so I went with the Weber conversion.

Came ready jetted for a B20, set the idle and mix and you're good to go. No messing about with dash pot oil and syncing carbs. If you want/need to re-jet a Weber it's a 5 minute job with the carb on the car... you can even re-use the gasket if you're careful.

I get about 23 mpg around town (and I don't hang about) and about 35 at a steady 70 on the motorway with the overdrive engaged. Car pulls very well. Ask the Nissan Almera driver who thought he'd easily out-drag an old car yesterday! :-)

I'd image the SUs would be better for highly tuned engines or at prolonged high speeds, but I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of top end for day to day driveability and ease of maintenance. My Amazon is my only car so I don't want to faff about with carbs on a regular basis (not had to touch my Weber in 6 years).

Don't get me wrong, if you don't know how to set a particular carb up you'll never get the best out of it. Be that a Weber or a pair of SUs.
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote