View Single Post
Old Dec 8th, 2018, 22:46   #17
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by xco View Post
First part of the warranty details you put up says electrical and mechanical are covered....therefore you are covered.

Has the bulb failed or still working and is it an LED unit or BI-XENON?

Something you may want to check ,,,,,,,,Last year I had the near side bulb fail in my Active Bi xenon unit and unbeknown to me when i bought the car THE WRONG TYPE OF BULBS WERE FITTED.

There are BI-XENON UNITS fitted to Volvo's which are static XENON lamps and do not bend and ACTIVE BI-XENON UNITS which are the bendy ones. (but I am talking regards to XC90's it maybe different for your XC60. My XC90 has Active Bi Xenons)

They both have a different part no. bulb fitted but both will work in the bendy type headlamp unit but whereas the proper bulb for the none bendy type unit will not turn the lamps when steering but will illuminate,..... the body of the bendy type Xenon Bulb has a lug on it which i think causes the lamp unit to turn when steered.

The point i am trying to make is that until 2 of the correct bulbs were fitted last year (always best to fit in pairs) i didn't even realize i had ACTIVE units i thought they were just the static fixed BI-XENONS. but you can see both the headlights turn when steering now.

Just worth checking maybe......Somebody like Tannaton or Clan can confirm that for you in which case the bill for 2 bulbs will be in the region of £400.00 plus labour not the £1500 you've been quoted.

I was very lucky in that i have a very good indie tech who looks after my car and he got them for me at cost £85.00 each.... Bargain.

Hope this helps
You are right - just to clarify some early XC90 that had Xenon lights were reflector based and take D2R bulbs (note - R at the end). Some later models with ABL (Bendy) lights were projector based units with D2S bulbs. D2S and D2R are similar but have different optical characteristics.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post: