View Single Post
Old Sep 23rd, 2022, 23:31   #2360
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicycleBoy View Post
240 GLT estate in Cornwall
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175426122625
High mileage MOT failure and miles away from most people. This should reveal the bottom of the market for running GLTs...
It's what i call an "honest high miler" though, he's racked up the mileage in normal use and the MoT failure only sounds just bad enough that you'd know it wouldn't go straight through unless Mr Magoo was your tester.
That said, you could legitimately book an MoT for it when you collect it and drive it straight to the test centre and from there home - all legally as long as you were insured.
Whether you'd want to or not is another matter but legally, you could.

That said it's also what i'd call a "good 20 pacer" - looks good at 20 paces away but get closer and you'd start noticing things like the "aerated sill" and so on - so might an over-zealous PC in the passsenger seat of a Police car and give you a pull for it. If he (or she) was over-zealous enough, he'd get a Traffic Officer along (which would delay you and make you miss your pre-arranged MoT test) to go over it with a fine-toothed comb. No doubt that would reveal a few more faults than the average moT tester would fail it for.

However, i can't remember the last time i saw a police car on the road, certainly round here anyway. Seen several illegally parked, half on pavements, facing the wrong way, on double yellow lines or other marked restrictions and sometimes a combination of the above.

As such, driving from pick-up to MoT and then home would be a calculated risk, probably one you'd get away with but a risk nonetheless.

If i was in the market for a 240GLT estate, i'd probably bid up to ~£200 for it but i'm not. My next estate is likely to be a bit more modern, simply for parts availability and with one possible exception, likely to be another V6 of some description.

PS - i've just noticed he'll deliver it for £3.35!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........

Last edited by Laird Scooby; Sep 23rd, 2022 at 23:32. Reason: PS........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: