View Single Post
Old Sep 14th, 2018, 15:27   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hozzer View Post
Hi guys,

Been looking at used cars for a while now and finally decided on getting a V40. I have also been looking around forums, like this one, to check any common problems and what I should look out for.

The biggest risk I see is the EGR problem that the D4 engines seem to encounter. I would prefer to purchase a D4 because of the extra power you get but I'm still seriously considering a D2 in case it could prove to be too much of a headache.

My question revolves on what I need to look out for basically. I've got a V40 D4 R-Design Lux Nav in my sights that seems on a par, cost wise, with other lower spec versions. It has about 70k mileage and a full service history so today I asked the dealer if the EGR problem had been mentioned in any of the reports, no reply as of yet.

Is this the only issue I should be mindful of? (other than the normal car checks you're encouraged to do of course). Also, if the dealer says that no EGR issues have been found/rectified should I leave it alone or negotiate a lower price, enough so I can get the problem fixed myself?

Any advice much appreciated!
which model year is it actually? is it the volvo 4 cylinder diesel or the 5 cylinder ? have you a reg no ?
If it IS the new volvo 4 cylinder , look at the top radiator hose and make sure it runs direct from the top of the radiator on the drivers side to the centre of the engine with no big T piece half way along .. That is good news if it does not have one ...