View Single Post
Old Nov 8th, 2019, 19:00   #78
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
On the one hand, I agree with you. It is one reason that we are members of the National Trust.

On the other, I am not so sure. Especially concerning churches, are we leaving the next generation something beautiful, something valuable (not only in monetary terms) to be treasured, or are we leaving them with a huge burden?

Knowing what we spend in both time and money on maintenance and repair, I sometimes feel that it might be the latter. Our tower roof cost the thick end of £90K to replace, with a life expectancy of 100 - 150 years. We were fortunate in receiving some grant aid, but it is still an awful lot of money to have to find!

Regards, John.
And all the while we know the church is the people not the biulding.

I moved from a 106 year old stone biult 3 story terraced house to a timber framed 2 bed bungalow. Heating hot water bill for a year is less than a winter quarter gas bill in the old house which I had modernised as best I could with new double glazed windows and a new roof with excess of regulations level of insulation. And the bungalow runs on oil as we are off the gas grid.

Fortunately I fitted a new boiler 3 years ago which will see me out, given the current murerings of banning gas and oil boilers in 2025. I deliberately went for a bigger than nessesary boidler as a big boiler running light is more efficient than a small boiler running hard and oil consumption is indeed less.

Way too much stick and not near enough carrot in these situations. In the old house had a firm call offering a grant to lag the loft. Did an inspection, yes good news you qualify for the grant, you have to put some money towards it but the govornment pays the rest. Oh yes, how much? HOW MUCH, on your bike. I went to B&Q and baught the insulation and laid it myself, 50% thicker than needed and still saved £25 off MY contribution. Just a "GREEN" rip off scheam.

Thank God for the Lord cos you cannot trust any one else.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote