Thread: D5 (2005 on) - Burning oil and DPF filter clogging.
View Single Post
Old Apr 4th, 2014, 21:04   #13
Chauffeurdude

This sounds like the same problem I am having again with my D5. I have previously had DPF problems with this car (see old thread) and looks like we are heading that way again. Over the last few weeks it has been using more oil and the mpg has dropped about 3-4mpg. Rather like last time I know something is wrong and it is like waiting for the axe to fall. No codes present. Drive it hard and it goes well but it feels like it has lost power but mainly between 1-2k rpm. Doesn't seem as happy as before tootling about at low revs. Engine has gone noticeably more noisy/rough at times. Sounds like tappets gone rattly aswell. However when oil is changed engine sounds sweeter for a while and oil consumption is better!! I change it every 7-8000 with proper a5/b5 oil etc. Always seems like it destroys the oil quickly to me! Personally I think this time the engine is knackered and not long for this world. I am not complaining as it has done 340,000 miles now (252,000ish when had DPF probs before). I think the DPF system has caused problems with oil dilution and subsequent engine wear!! Such a shame as the car has been brilliant and I will be sad to see it go!! I am going to have to replace it sooner than planned by looks of it so have been chasing Volvo for a demo in a new V70 with the D4 181 engine. Just hoping it will keep going until new V70 sorted!! Fingers crossed!!
Chauffeurdude is offline   Reply With Quote