Thread: D5 (2005 on) - Burning oil and DPF filter clogging.
View Single Post
Old Apr 6th, 2014, 21:25   #15
Eunan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezthebear View Post
I have 2008 V70 D5 90,000 miles. Approximately 8 months ago. Noted increase in fuel and oil consumption. DPF regen light started to come on. Took it to garage and they replaced swirl flaps. Since then DPF light came on saying Soot filt full and limp home mode. Garage forced regen and replaced a sensor on DPF. Since then oil consumption has increased and I have now noticed engine is burning oil. Can only see blue smoke in large bursts normally when accelerating having slowed down for a hazard then accelerating away. Soot filter light only comes on after long journeys usually followed by limp home mode but often resets itself once car has been stood overnight. Garage now unsure if its an engine fault or turbo fault. Has anybody had any similar experiences or can help. Everbody says these faults are uncommon with this engine.
Hi all, I have been driving a 2006 XC90-D5-SE-E4-AWD now for just under 2 years. Have had issues with it constantly. Simon Chambers in Belfast put a new cam seals and crank seals in it about a year ago as oil was running out of it and then it seemed to use oil for a long time, started showing the "soot filter full" alarm and then the "engine mgmt" light started coming on after the soot alarm was on for a few mins.
Simon has put a new sensor into the DPF but the issue remains, if i even slightly push the car at all the soot alarm comes on. (My push, i mean the slightest little acceleration beyond what an OAP on a sunday drive would do). Have been topping up with oil now for months but there is no oil under the car where it is normally parked. Have done numerous regenerations but makes no diff. Simon last week took the filter our and throughly cleaned it and left some cleaning fluid in it over night, then done hot power hose etc on it and still exact same issue.
Strangely, I went to Dublin from Belfast with the car and back about a month ago and there was no prob, on the motorway doing 80mph no issue. But next journey around town and back to square one.
I have spent so much on it now and drove around like a twit at 20 mph in totally inappropriate places that i am really ****ed off with the car. I just want it sorted once and for all. Have been quoted £450 to have the DPF taken out and car re-programmed and it is tempting. Or £650 plus fitting for the DFP change.
From what i have read here it looks like there is an issue further back with the car that is causing it to creating the material that is blocking the DPF, so would be really interested to hear from people with similar issues and what happened for them. Cheers. Eunan in Belfast.
Eunan is offline   Reply With Quote