View Single Post
Old Oct 25th, 2023, 07:19   #5
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Good luck with the resto. The only thing I would say is stay in the moment and don't get too far ahead of yourself as what you want will evolve over time. If it's a full resto then take the time to get loads of photos before you start, strip the car and take more photos, label everything and store away neatly where it won't get damaged or disturbed. You'll need a good amount of space for all the bits. Then concentrate on the bodywork, don't start buying wheels, engine upgrades or anything else, instead collect your ideas and store them somewhere. In a resto it's easy to get distracted seeing what other folk have done or are doing and you can waste time and money.

Only media blast the floor and chassis of the body and spray it with epoxy mastic primer. That will hold off any rust. Get the shell sorted and then move onto the hanging panels. To strip the paint off A surface of the car use non-woven discs that go on a grinder; https://www.screwfix.com/p/non-woven...E&gclsrc=aw.ds. They rip the paint and rust off really easily but does create a lot of dust. I've found media blasting can either be too aggressive and damage the panels or not man enough and doesn't remove all the stubborn areas and rust. I'm glad you're getting a rotisserie, it will be the best investment in the resto and your sanity. :-)

Before you start don't underestimate the hours and money you're going to put in doing a full resto. Consider 1000 to 1500hrs as the minimum.

You'll get guys like me telling you how to do things. :-) But it's your car and your resto so do it how you like but make sure it's enjoyable. Take the time to stop and appreciate what you've done along the way, that's where keeping photos is good. Don't stress about stuff it's supposed to be fun. You'll find more rust than what you think there will be most likely, just take it in your stride and that's just how it is. Don't put a deadline on things or tell folk how long it will take. It takes as long as it takes you.

All the best and look forward to following along.