View Single Post
Old Nov 10th, 2018, 15:42   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon Mouse View Post
The Serpentine belt came off and wrapped itself around the timing pulley and caused lots of damage to the point where currently the cylinder head + lots of other components are being replaced at a main dealer in West Yorkshire. Others experiencing this problem have faced a complete engine replacement.

I'm posting this as a warning to any other Volvo D5 engine owners as, following a bit of research via Google, I've found that this is an old Volvo problem that although subject to a recall in 2013 is still damaging later model cars. Mine was 2014 reg (2015 model). The main problem seems to be with the tensioner and from what I've read it is unwise to wait the recommended 100,000 miles to replace. The belt is supposed to be changed every 3 services but often seems to be missed and in any case does not seem to be the main cause of the problem. From my reading the only safe thing to do is when replacing the belt to also replace the belt tensioner.

Has anyone else gone through this experience?

There is another saga with the West Yorkshire dealership carrying out the work that might put anyone off buying a car from them or having a car serviced by them - possibly more about this later after I'm clear of them. It's certainly shaken my faith in Volvo to the point where I will not buy another.
The Aux belt Must be changed every 54000 miles and it's tensioner with the cambelt etc at 108000 miles . always use volvo parts .Has this been carried out previously ?