Thread: 240 General: - Genuine radio
View Single Post
Old Feb 9th, 2019, 17:14   #7
Yaxley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaxley View Post

If you have the amplifier fitted behind the lower cubby hole, the depth of the recess will be noticeably shortened. I think that type of amp uses the bulkhead as a heatsink.. but from memory it only drives the rear speakers (the radio has an internal amp which drives the fromt speakers), so if you have that setup and the problem is front and rear it points to the pre-amp stage, like the volume or balance control.
The system with rear door tweeters was only fitted to later cars, so it may have a 4 channel amplifier, and I think the TD in TD 603 means 'Tuner Deck', suggesting that may be all it does. There was a CR603 – which may have had an amp in it in it driving the front speakers, which I would expect to be the setup you find in your 1989 car,

So I think you will find the connectors, the amp and head unit will not swap individually between the cars. As for finding another TD 603, I'd think only if it was really cheap or you wanted to retain the original equipment – there were places that repaired them in the past, but they are now over 25 years old.

Modern replacement units can be had with built in amps so you can connect directly to the speakers using a bypass wiring harness, but I am not sure where you will find the amplifier, someone else will know.
Yaxley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yaxley For This Useful Post: