Thread: 240 General: - Genuine radio
View Single Post
Old Feb 9th, 2019, 18:29   #8
dan 244
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaxley View Post
The system with rear door tweeters was only fitted to later cars, so it may have a 4 channel amplifier, and I think the TD in TD 603 means 'Tuner Deck', suggesting that may be all it does. There was a CR603 – which may have had an amp in it in it driving the front speakers, which I would expect to be the setup you find in your 1989 car,

So I think you will find the connectors, the amp and head unit will not swap individually between the cars. As for finding another TD 603, I'd think only if it was really cheap or you wanted to retain the original equipment – there were places that repaired them in the past, but they are now over 25 years old.

Modern replacement units can be had with built in amps so you can connect directly to the speakers using a bypass wiring harness, but I am not sure where you will find the amplifier, someone else will know.
Yes I would ideally like to keep the original look. The amp is behind the lower cubbyhole I’m sure, I just meant I hadn’t had time to get the panels off to look at that bit.

I do wonder if I could swap the entire 89 set up or if the wires in the car will be different, I will have to investigate further unless someone knows!

Perhaps I will see if I can get mine repaired! Not sure where to look though, everything now days is throw away!!
dan 244 is offline   Reply With Quote