Thread: Wanted.
View Single Post
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 22:09   #14
minesa240x3
loyalty

Hi all I just reread my old post and it may have a mistake about the J reg "ultimately needing a cat".That bits wrong.
So here is a better discription.
If you have a car fitted with a cat on or after 31-7-1992 you have to have it fitted and it must pass the more stringent emmisions test.That's me saying that before the new mot changes came into affect.

So my H reg 740GLE was first registered 1-8-1990,So no cat needed.

And my J reg 240SE was first registered 17-7-1992,Just scraped through by 14 days,No cat needed.

And my 240SE was first registered 23-4-1993,So has to have a cat and pass the more stringent emmissions test.

Still looking around for a cheap one but I found one before but with postage it was near enough the same price as a new one.
They fetch very good money if taken seperately to a breakers yard so I don't blame anyone for doing so.

It will be interesting to see what my mot guy says about it all as he was the one who told me that if the cat failed on my J reg to throw it away and fit a standard exhaust.That was a few years ago but basically volvo fitted them before legislation so how are the mot stations going to know if your car had one?

So long as it's registered before 31-7-1992 I can't see it being an issue,
gloster man I think your garage failed it on emmisions and thought wrongly that fitting a cat would make it run cleaner?

Well in essence it would but in actual fact it's the refitting of the LAMBDA probe that will make it run correctly.No signal to the onboard computer tells it to run in limp mode.Lots of fuel to keep it going.

As soon as I fitted a probe to my 740 it ticked over slower and cleaner(vibration) and stopped burning gallons of fuel.

Did they do the old basic emmisions test? Or the long winded up and down the revs tickover idle sort of test?.

Regards Brian.
Regards Brian.
minesa240x3 is offline   Reply With Quote