View Single Post
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 07:23   #17
ahal
Master Member

Wink Sounds familiar

Hi Mike,

It's sad to hear of this sort of behaviour. I am presuming that you're in the U.K. All garages here in Ireland have this attitude really, if one happens to drive a car that's more than a few years old. Imagine an older car as oily shoes!

For about 5 years I dealt with a brilliant Volvo dealership in Dublin, but they've now moved to a massive glasshouse, got the widescreen telly / Gaggia coffee machine, and "don't do cars pre - 1998".

I was down the country a couple of years ago and the car was playing up, so I rang a dealership in Co. Tipperary to book a service. The obnoxious man who answered the phone asked me straight away: "Do we know you?". I said "no". He then asks "Do we know this car, have we worked on it?"

When I replied "No" again he went ( loudly ) "UUUHHHHH ... PAH"! I sort of laughed and hung up. I then sent the car to a Volvo dealer in Limerick city. The car came back with a Daewoo Matiz HT lead fitted and the front bumper hanging off. I actually witnessed one of the mechanics driving the car out of the service area in a style which could only be described as joyriding.

I took them to the small claims court, but it seemed apparent that the judge was a sort of pro - industry guy ( who probably got a good deal on a V-70 at some stage ). They perjured themselves and it worked. Interestingly, I was the 2nd. customer to have taken them to court for damaging a car ( they got away with it the previous time too ).

I know I've waffled a bit here, but it raises another interesting point ... what happens if your car is damaged in Volvo care? Anyway, nowadays I go to that much maligned ( by the trade vested interests ) "back lane guy". Most of the ordinary guys who work on cars are sound, and most of them hate the bosses. Think I understand why!

Even better still, find yourself an ex - Volvo mechanic like my cousin did. He gets his 850 serviced / repaired for half the hourly rate, by a guy who's not under pressure for time.

Best of luck,

Anthony.
ahal is offline   Reply With Quote