View Single Post
Old May 27th, 2011, 13:49   #8
btsuck

Hello again, i have just got back from the UK with this Turquoise Pearl 850 tdi (422-21 paint code), which i found living in Yorkshire, via an ebay winning bid of £620. It came with half a tank of diesel and a removable towbar.
Main agent service history to 130K, and 3 owners. 180 k on it now, and i averaged 52 mpg on the 750 mile trip back to France. 65mph on M1 (noisy wheel bearing + getting to know it) Crawl through London to Islington, Dover, Continent all the way back on A and B roads. Would have got more out of it if i had stuck to payage at a constant 70mph, but 40euro toll and a need for a change kept me off it.
It drives a lot better than the silver one, tracks straight, more pothole friendly, (although the clutch pedal is heavier) and i have had the luxury of being able to transfer niggly things: wiper motor, dash bulbs, horn (one not not working), dog guard, mud flap, off the silver and onto it.
Bodywork very good, and just given it a go over with T-cut metallic. There's a bad rust patch around the rear plate drill hole. I've found the paint code, just need to find the paint supplier. Everything is that bit harder when you're not in the UK.
The ECC does not work on AUT, so i am going to swap it, (no working AC compressor on either.) I have just read about a way to short the compressor to see if it does indeed work so will try that, but not going to waste to much time, or money trying to get the AC back. Climate control thought, at the moment, it's not getting too hot at max dial setting, and as soon as i move it from max down a mere couple of nothces the temp reduces too much. ECC again? The temp gauge moves only slightly and very slowly, only rising to the near the half way mark when i was stuck in london traffic on the way back. Thermostat? If so could it effect AUT? If necessay i could take everything out the silver and swap, the 5 internal sensors etc, but i thought i'd start with the ECC unit itself.
The wheel bearing is noisy so i'm going to take the one off the silver. I had a quote to supply and fit one this afternoon....350 euros....say no more.
Brakes, they fade when used hard. eg, i come down a hill, brake, lift off, re-apply, release, repeat as going down hill, until after four goes at this the brake remains firm but has no stopping power! I am thinking i will change the master cylinder and add fresh hydraulic fluid.
Another niggle, someone put the front screen in, and clearly was working in the wrong job, maybe they would be able to put the ice cream into a 99 cone, but fitting windscreens...no. It is sat low (compared to silver one) and there is wind noise around the int mirror area. The rubber seal along the top is not flat against the bodywork. I will attempt the take out and replace and put up the photos. Along with wheel bearing. I went to a 'carglass' (auto glass equivalent) shop, and was met with overwhelming negative distain...
"that'll probably break monsieur if we take it out"
"Oh, i thought wire in and out, move it around the perimeter, be careful, and it should come out..?"
"95% chance it will break, and yes, it wont be our fault. To fit the new one, 800 euros"
Ok, so that's 80 euros more than i paid for the car...
"how about i get one from a breakers and you fit it?"
"300!.."
"Merci et, au revoir" said i...
I've searched the forums for brake problems, but can't find anything specific to what i have. ie brakes not got that much urgency/bite, and performance drops under repeated hard breaking.
More pics to follow showing me taking a hammer to screen...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
btsuck is offline   Reply With Quote