Thread: C70: - Sound system advice.
View Single Post
Old Aug 12th, 2013, 18:53   #12
SeeSeventy

Quote:
Originally Posted by timpy View Post
Reading the thread for the first time, all of the symptoms pointed to the signal wiring somewhere before the amplifier, and the fact that you heard whistles and pops from the speakers even when the music didn't get through means the signal is being lost before it got to the amps, as someone else has said previously.

The trouble with broken wires in the signal loops to things like amplifiers is that most amplifiers tend work with fixed gain, and high impedance inputs (such as the signal input to your amplifier) work very effectively as antennas when they are allowed to "float", which is why you can hear whirring and clicking and popping through the speakers the time amplifier loses its "reference" i.e. the signal wire and / or the signal return disconnects itself.

Personally I dislike DIN connectors for reliability in places where they see vibration and / or humidity. You've found the fault in the signal lead with the DIN connector, and because of the way the pins work, once they make a poor connection they're hard to clean up effectively. Depending on the number of pins, playing with the wiring in the back of the plug isn't funny either. I'd replace the assembly if possible.

Good luck with it
Luck indeed! It would appear that it may not be solved after all... I have replaced the DIN with a quality audio one and done some further testing and it appears the lack of sound quality and whiney hissing is back, even playing with the old and new connecter into the amplifier doesn't rectify it anymore. Nor at the head unit. It is back to random, I can shut and lock the car and it be fine or not at all when re opening and driving etc...

Perhaps the Amp or head unit, but I suspect amp, is at fault here as initially thought, which is not the outcome I was really looking for... I am currently trying to try an aftermarket system to see if results and sound varies.

Chasing the DIN lead back through the car, was tedious but achieved eventually and unless something is amiss inside the cable itself. BUT, the new one performs no better now after a few goes of driving and locking and unlocking... Which also makes me wonder if something is shorting said cable or causing damage?

The frustration continues... I will keep you all posted and be back if I find anything with my tester. I am reluctant to replace the amp just yet, if I could even find one. There is still a risk there.