Thread: Amazon: - Voltage regulator help needed!
View Single Post
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 13:11   #2
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

F;

I'm confused..." If I by pass the VR and take a reading at the back of the alt and the negative battery terminal, I get a reading of 14.3 volts "...that is a fairly normal voltage and to be expected, but please elaborate... How do you bypass Reg on that Alt? If you measure a normal voltage at the Alt output (which you can expect to be the highest voltage point in the system), exactly where and how, and under what circumstances do you measure the 19V?

Without understanding your conditions fully, I'll still try to give some suggestions:

First, and in general, assure all charging system connections are proper, clean and tight...poor connections alone can cause major symptoms such as you are experiencing...

...more specifically, a poor chassis connection to the V Reg (external or internal to Alt, which is not clear to me from your info) can cause the voltage across the poor connection to be added to the reference voltage of the V Reg. The voltage at which the V Reg then tries to keep the system is sky high, as you're experiencing...at that voltage, I expect the Battery to be boiling like a witch's caldron...likely expelling droplets of acid out the vent...so clean and neutralize any expelled droplets carefully and totally, check and top up electrolyte level.

Good Hunting!
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote