View Single Post
Old May 12th, 2002, 08:52   #1
dr dolittle

Morning All,

The steering wheel shudder on my 94 T5 estate has now got sufficiently bad that I really must do something about it ...

I get the shudder through the steering wheel at moderate braking loads - its fine when braking lightly - and when it starts shuddering, it can be made to stop by applying more pressure (moderately high pressure - sufficient for rapid braking from high speed) . The shudder can feel quite severe when braking moderately hard at speed.

Yesterday I checked the wheel bearings and track rod ends - all ok. Didn't get a chance to mechanically check wishbone/subframe bushes etc but visually they're not perished or otherwise distressed. My discs look worn but if warped I would have expected to feel it all speeds ?

(While I was under there I did spot the broken rear exhaust hanger - one jubilee clip later and one less rattle !)

Any thoughts and advice gratefully received ...
Many thanks

Dr D

PS commiserations alun8 - I've been fretting about my cam belt recently - your story will get me ordering a new cam belt on Monday morning ! you might be lucky and get away with a few new valves ... I have a friend with a porsche whose belt broke at idle and it suffered no internal damage - it can happen !