View Single Post
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 11:10   #6
scooters

I find the 244 a relaxing car to drive on the motorway - although a bit unrefined especially in 3 speed auto B21 form other drivers seem to give me room and also don't seem to be interested in competition. As the top speed of my car is pretty much 80 ish speed isn't the issue and I tend to bumble along at 65 quite happily with a bit in reserve to get out of trouble. When I am driving my 940 or even worse my 850 other drivers especially the BMW Audi Dti brigade seem to want to make the point that their car is faster than yours which is amusing because - often a) it isn't and b) who cares anyway! so despite being better, faster, more efficiant and dare I say it more comfortable motorway cruisers I do find driving the 244 saloon a relaxing experience.

must be somthing about psychology - I have a 1971 Daf Marathon which is as rare as hen's teeth being the child of the Daf 33 and 44 "tart rattlers" with their aircooled engines - my one has a gordini tuned renault engine (the one they put in the Volvo 66) and a sports exhaust and suspension. When I got it I used to get bullied by 4x4s and BMWs who seemed to think that because it was an old and compared to modern cars, small car they had to overtake it despite the fact I might be keeping up with modern traffic. with the tuning on the Daf it will hit 60mph in 10 seconds which is pretty quick for a 38 year old car. I have since turned it into a replica of a period Daf motorsport rally car complete with period decals and since I have done this other drivers give me a wide berth and seem to give me a bit more respect - no more bullying....odd idsn't it

when i drive the Moggy you never get any hassel - most other drivers obviously don't see it as a threat and even HGVs wave at you.

on the other end of the spectrum when I had my Daimler Double Six with the 6.0 engine and the 150 mph top speed I didn't get any hassel either - the BMW brigade tended to let you through and you didn't feel some primaevel urge to prove yourself -

so for relaxing motoring the 244 seems to be the way forward for me - now I just need to fit the electronic ignition as I am forever adjusting the points
scooters is offline   Reply With Quote