View Single Post
Old Apr 6th, 2018, 01:26   #4
c_lee
VOC26332

A few years ago when we had the Lunar Clubman I decided ( after using it frequently ) to take it to the weighbridge after seeing the penalties for overweight.

I was gobsmacked - we were way over with the caravan.

So much so that I'd be embarrassed to say - 'go on' - OK then, 200KG + in a 1,100 KG MTPLM caravan.

I usually checked the nose weight before each tow but didn't think we carried that much.

This was just a few days before a long trip to Cornwall so it was panic stations.

We completely emptied the caravan and went through the contents with a fine toothed comb.

Redistributed some weight to the car etc.

I bought a CWC and now, in the Charisma, load it in the same way each time we go away having got the loading between car and caravan and nose weight right.

I still do a 3 axle weight check with the CWC on occasions though - usually before a long trip.

It is amazing how much we used to carry at one time, years ago - much of it just in case.

I often see posts elsewhere from people who never check - the 'I can lift the tow hitch so it's OK ' brigade and been doing it for years, 'never had any problems'.

Probably never had a roadside check either and had to ditch content or paid an overweight fine ( or worse ).

Ignorance, to them, is bliss.

Colin
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to c_lee For This Useful Post: