View Single Post
Old Aug 23rd, 2018, 09:34   #382
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christerart View Post
I am in awe...
It really isn't much more than practice and being patient.

#########

Some additional tips that I forgot to add in my last post:

1) After tack welding and when ever necessary clean the area with a wire brush (I use a small rotary thing in a cordless drill)
2) Start tacks from the new metal to the old (on the whole the new metal is more likely to be of a consistent thickness)
3) The advantage of too much filler metal in an area is that you are making your own heat sink which will help you stop making holes instead of filling them - the downside is more grinding and waste (waste in terms of materials used and time)
4) Be aware that work hardened metal is more likely to speed you towards a blown hole - so be aware of bends and complicated shapes
5) Be aware that complicated shapes in metal has usually involved stretching of metal - this means the metal there is thinner (!)

#########

One of these days I plan to buy and experiment with a variable trigger TIG gun - as I feel at times a little more control over the arc would be favourable. I do have a pedal that does this but it is only really useful for welding at a bench (and cars tend not to fit too well on benches).
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote