Thread: D5 (2005 on) - Catch Can Installation
View Single Post
Old Sep 15th, 2020, 10:47   #7
IFitzy

So after an eternity I finally received the Catch Can & gathered all Hoses & Fittings needed, and fitted it all at the weekend. The Provent 200 (rep) is bigger than expected but looks like a good item with little restriction to any flow passing through it.
In order to fit nicely we sourced another Induction Pipe and removed the resonator, something I was interested in doing anyway to see if it would bring any more turbo whistle out of the Twins. Slightly more whistle but engine is now louder on idle, I'm ok with the change but others might not be, at least the resonator won’t be rubbing into the wiring harness at the rear of it.

I then cleaned up the pipe & sealed the little heater module onto the induction pipe with Gasket Maker, a trick from Volvo Sweden’s youtube video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLhsfrZ6vKE

In terms of Connections, the hose connection from the engine side is 21mm (19mm/ ¾”) and the Heater connection at the Pipe side is 16mm (5/8”)
Due to the bending radius of the ¾” hose I had to source a 90° Bend (Brass fitting), not too happy with it as it is slightly restrictive.
A machine shop mate of mine made up some Aluminium reducers for the increase upto 1” on the Can Catch, far neater than any fitting I could source.
I sourced some clear PVC 1” hose for the catch can connections just to see the flow of vapor/air in and out of the Can,, not sure how long these will last as they are not oil rated hoses.

From there we made up some cheap & cheerful Aluminium bracketry for it and mounted it all up, as the Provent has very little in the way of storage, I’ve simply mounted a Lucozade bottle lower down to collect anything from the can, it can be checked & emptied very easily from there.
Going to keep an eye on it for the next while and see what it collects, I'll update here in a few weeks again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0646.JPG (232.2 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0651.JPG (161.9 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0673.JPG (212.7 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0682.JPG (288.6 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0689.JPG (335.8 KB, 90 views)
IFitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IFitzy For This Useful Post: