View Single Post
Old Aug 6th, 2018, 17:04   #52
blueosprey90
Master Member

Sunday - More prepping of floorboards for paint. Grind the rusty floors with a 4"wire brush on an angle grinder, then go down to a 3" wire brush, use paint thinner & a putty knife to remove deteriorated seam sealer, then use a wire brush on the electric drill, 3 different types of brushes depending what I'm trying to clean. With the wire brushes on the drill, the rusty areas turn from black orange to mostly black. The rusty metal is like a skin rash. Then wash with an acid based metal prep - removes some rust, and then converts what is left. Then wipe down several times with a degreaser. I was able to get a first layer of POR 15 on the driver's side floorboards today. I figure about 24 hours of prep work for 1 hour of painting.

I also took the throttle linkage off. As I suspected, a lot of wear at the connection coming off of the gas pedal. I welded on some patch material and ground down so now closer to new condition - although my welding ability is lame.

An internet friend from the S2000 boards in Upstate New York posted these pictures to give me an incentive. He's living in Helsinki or thereabouts as far as I know, so I presume the photos originated there. Car looks a bit custom.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Richie in Helsinki resized.jpg (44.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Richie in Helsinki 2 resized.jpg (42.9 KB, 11 views)
blueosprey90 is offline   Reply With Quote