View Single Post
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 13:24   #6
Lucien
VOC Member

Default Fixing a stuck sunroof

It's like lots of things on these old cars - lack of use causes problems. The mechanism itself is fairly robust and I think you'd be unlucky to have a permanently seized cable, but it could need some 'persuading' if it's not been used for a while.

My roof has stuck in the past. Here's what worked for me:
  • Crank the roof open a little bit if you can (but if you can't, just carry on with the next steps anyway).
  • Remove the winder handle and the little white cover-plate to the worm gear.
  • Remove the 2 screws holdings the gear mechanism (use a magntised screwdriver so you don't drop them). Apply a little silicon grease in to the gears
  • Now manually slide the sunroof back and forward several times to get things moving freely. I was surprised at how easily the roof moved using this method even when it felt locked-up when trying to operate it with the winder.
  • Smear a little grease onto the slider rail that the sunroof panel moves in.
  • Push the roof fully closed.
  • Reassemble the control parts, ensuring the gears are nicely meshed and that the gearbox is nicely snugged. Don't over tighten though.
  • Test the oepration of the roof using the handle, and check that the roof is lifting up properly when fully closed. It should be about 0.5mm lower than the roof line at the front and 0.5mm higher at the rear.
  • If the roof is not lifting up flush on closure, with the roof closed put some tension on the cables (by turning the sunroof handle anticlockwise and holding some force on it, but not excessive force) and at the same time give the rear corners of the sunroof a thump or two. They should pop up. Try several times.
  • If you can't 'persuade' the sunroof to flush up, then you'll have to go for manual adjustment and take everything apart as in the attched pdf (earlier post). I didn't have to do this, so I have no idea how to remove the headlining material from the underside of the moving roof panel.
  • Finally take off your winder and put it back on again pointing forwards so it folds away neatly.

Best of luck! Let us know how you get along.