Thread: Engine 850: B5234TR/2.3/20v/T5R: - does volvo cover cam belt breakage?
View Single Post
Old Mar 11th, 2019, 08:25   #7
Austin160
Master Member

I go along with Clan’s opinion that the renewed belt assembly will be guaranteed for 1year irrespective of whether you get it replaced at an independent, or at the main dealer.
I always favour using main dealer parts, and you might find that there is little in it price wise if you buy the parts on discount from dealers such as FRF -Swansea -using discount code C3? If I don’t use main dealer belt kits, then I will only use Gates as an alternative.

Gates kits including water pump?
Gates don’t make water pumps! - and I recall asking about the origin of the pumps they supply in their kits, and the answer was a little too vague to intice me to use the kit inc. the pump.
As far as renewing the pump, there has been numerous opinions on here which advocate checking the current pump to ensure it is an original pump, and if it runs smoothly then do not replace it, since they are generally capable of large mileages. For me, if the water pump has to be replaced then it’s main dealer pumps only - no exceptions. Aftermarket pumps can be of variable quality, and can become the weak link in the assembly.
Austin160 is offline   Reply With Quote