View Single Post
Old Mar 29th, 2017, 16:59   #12
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys Nolan View Post
I believe the estate ones are the same??
I don't actualy know but I think that is correct. New tow bars advertised on eBay do not seem to specify saloon or estate. I do know that tow bars for both the saloon I had and the esate I have were and are fixed by two large bolts, one each side of the car through the body sections. I fitted the tow bar to the saloon and the Halfords kit included longer bolts in place of the existing bolts.

The tow bars listed on eBay seeem to be to fit any age of 240. If buying a secondhand tow bar I would want to know a bit of info because I have a 1992 car. Volvo fitted a probably plastic valance to later 240s, coming down from the bumper.

On my car with a solid lump of Volvo tow bar there are what appear to be factory formed holes in the valance for the tow bar. So buying seond hand, can the sellor provide the original genuine valance made to accomodate that tow bar. This may be a clue whether that swing aside tow bar is a Volvo item: was there a valance on the car with pre formed hole[s] for that tow bar?

Also if the car has a valance, struts to support the valance appear to need to connect to the towbar very close to where the towbar fits to the bodywork.

My solid lump of a Volvo tow bar is as much a thing of beauty and joy to behold as a Russian Shot Putter ..... each to their own.

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Mar 29th, 2017 at 17:02.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote