Thread: V50 General : - Disabling Daylight running lights
View Single Post
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 11:58   #19
iainmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewVolvo View Post
I think the police will have another reason and a very busy time stopping vehicles after the DRL law have has come into force (for people who refuse to use them for reasons many of us can not understand, ie fuel consumption, "it wears the battery down" or "the cost of bulbs is too high" etc etc etc).
They should have a very busy time but won't for the same reason that an unbelievable number of drivers still:

- Drive while using a handheld phone
- Drive with no seatbelt
- Drive with foglights on day and night with greater than 100m visibility

The police have no interest in stopping people for minor offences as it creates too much paperwork. The excuse is generally that they don't have the time or resources to police these laws. IMHO the government should either provide enough police to start policing these offences or not bother intruducing laws that they can't or won't enforce.

I really do believe there are more people today driving whilst on the mobile than before the law was introduced and it continues because there is hardly any visible effort to enforce the law.

Back to the topic of DRLs, I'm content to have them and I do think it makes my presence more visible to other road users. That can never be a bad thing so long as it doesn't cause irritation to other road users.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote