View Single Post
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 18:56   #23
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTerry View Post
I think what has been lost most with Volvo, and with Saab, is the unique character that they used to have.
Your other comments are valid relating to the shared platforms...
But the above is the definative statement relating to the changes..

Ford (fud) and GM are american car makers. I neither like or trust american car makers.
Over history they have (like many US businesses) cut corners and trim costs to the detriment of the people who bought their cars/products and to the cars themselves... And to the detriment of the communities in whic they operate.
Take the ford pinto (yes please, take it away as far as you can and bury it deeeep!!!).
They knew there were issues, and decided to carry on regardless (it was cheaper to continue and pay compensation than to rectify the fault). Indicators and stop lights in the US combined because they save a couple of bucks in the wiring costs per car...! Get real you p**fs..

Saab and Volvo have always been "different". Different by design, by looks and by quality.
Neither were the biggest car makers in the world, but they had a nieche market and a loyal following...
Their cars were not the fastest, but were definitely safe, enduring and practical. And worked. And carried on working. And still keep going.

Now they are part of a "bigger picture" the uniqueness has almost gone. There are definitely signs that you know you are driving a Saab or a Volvo, but not as definitly as previously. The quality: newer, different, cheap. (sorry to all those who like the newer insides..)

More and more dependance on what seem to be poorly constructed electronic components (poorly made or designed, and which fail regularly) and which, although cheap to make for the producer, cost an arm and leg for the end user.
Front wheel drive. No I don't want to open that can of worms, FRW has its appeal and advantages - so too RWD.
But FWD was a good way to trim the cost of making a car by having the engine AND gearbox assembled outside the car and dropped in as a unit. A bitch to service and maintain though.
But Volvo have completely dropped RWD??!! WHY???? Merc and BMW still use RWD in their big class vehicles as the drive train of choice for that type of vehicle. Why? Because it is better.
So why, as a "premium" car maker has Volvo not got any RWD cars when they had some fine examples????

So, in conclussion, my rating is 6. Please fud, sell Volvo to someone who cares...
And go down the drain after..
/rant over...

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote