View Single Post
Old Jun 8th, 2019, 16:57   #10
Angie
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
Hello, Like so many people my health issues seem to multiply. Any and every task seems to take longer to get started and longer to complete. There is a local garage who might be good I suspect. That is an unknown. Some of our members have had disappointing experiences. And it is not easy t let go of actually ding the work myself.

Mine is a 240 SE B200F estate. Good MOT results. No known issues just the usual list of little things I'd like to improve. Biggest thing would be the usual corrosion under the rear bumper and I have a serious independent person lined up for that work. I have the repair panel waiting.

EDIT: I wonder about say a GL automatic saloon 230 K-jet. But. I don't think that's really an answer to the fundamental issues.

My fundamental thought is. I know this car. It serves me well. And. I don't want to buy someone else's problems.

I think that I will try to do some small maintenance, and perhaps ask the local garage to do some work to see how that goes.

I should be grateful for some objective thoughts and ideas please. I am willing to consider say an automatic hatchback providing it is of robust construction. Something any garage can cope with and obtain parts for.

Open minded objective opinions are welcome please.

I do NOT want my Volvo 240 to end up being sold for close to scrap after I'm gone if I do not manage to get good maintenance continued. We've all seen those unhappy threads.

Thank you.

Hello, Stephen. I've not visited the site for a little while so just re-visited this thread. I'm likely to face a similar dilemma, I want my car to be in good condition when I eventually pop my clogs - fortunately other than age-related aches and pains I don't seem to be in bad condition, though not necessarily a sought after classic! - and it is as ever a matter of bodywork which is a constant concern. I still love driving the car, it looks the biz and even at 215,000 miles doesn't burn oil or rattle too much. It doesn't sound wonderful when its cold but I believe they were a bit that way from new. I've kept it maintained fairly well mechanically, have a good local garage - literally walking distance, though before we moved I could see it from the house! They don't charge the earth, £42 per hour I think currently, and will often do bits and pieces without payment, so very fortunate in that respect. The arches are looking a bit crusty, had them done expensively about five years ago but haven't taken as much care as I should to keep the water at bay. So all in all I shall keep it going as long as the bank balance permits, and if I really do feel I have to sell it I'll probably go for something similar, perhaps a late model 940 or even, dare I say, an early V70. I don't want to go back to a small car if I can avoid it, if only because I need space for dogs. If I could afford it I'd have C70 convertible as a second car but I think that's a dream which won't come true. Try to keep your 240 going if possible, with the support of a good mechanic, they're such easy cars to drive and about as reliable as you could find, new or old.

PS I might try to find some spare Scorpius wheels sometime, know anyone who has some?!
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote