View Single Post
Old Sep 17th, 2020, 11:20   #32
palwing

Thanks Welton.

Unfortunately, due to a surgeon inexplicably removing major parts of my insides required for life, I am where I am with regards to my health. My future is now in the hands of others, including the big man upstairs. To say I have a tough few months ahead of me is an understatement. However, on the plus side, the Volvo forums will be a lot quieter for a while, if not longer. Being housebound and stuck under a blanket in a chair for 8 months now, I seem to spend far too much time here. lol As mentioned, watch out for my story in the Press one day. There will also undoubtedly be a few medical papers written about me too, so my 15 minutes of fame may last a bit longer than most. I must add, that I am so glad that I have travelled and done as much as I have in my life as I would be even MORE cheesed off if I had not and then realised it was too late to start.

I know exactly where you are coming from and you are quite right about the life work balance. Some live to work, others work to live. Finding a good compromise somewhere in between is a possible solution. Although I prefer not working (when healthy) and just enjoying life to be the most enjoyable way. I have met quite a few people who have said they would not retire early as “What would I do? It must be boring.” That told me a lot about their lack of imagination and sense of adventure. But there you go, it’s their life.

You mention Australia and we have spent a lot of time there too. We have 5 grandchildren, 2 of which live in WA and 3 in the UK. The life style differences between our UK and Ozzy grandkids is stark. Your Internet comparison couldn’t be more apt.

The Ozzy kids live an extremely active life, beach, swimming (50 metre pools) surfing, gymnastics, football, running, cycling, great climate and social lives. It is generally a higher standard of living in every sense, including diet. Even the schools are so much more patriotic, forward thinking and encouraging of an active, healthy lifestyle. It’s normal for them from a very early age. You can see why many Australians are so confident. But as mentioned before, there are still areas of concern in certain parts of WA as in all parts of the real world. Just less concentrated perhaps?

Whilst my UK grandchildren are in what many would consider a good standard of living, their lives revolve around occasional sporting events, family cycle rides and the Internet. Saying that, I think the climate here has a big influence on being active in the UK, especially in the winter. Unfortunately we can do nothing about that. I have included some photos of my Ozzy grandchildren (10 and 6) during their WINTER. The beach is just across the road from where they live and it’s spring now. Gorgeous. I will add it gets blooming hot in the summer months and there is a fly season around October/November which drives me nuts. Hence the Ozzy wave. I stay indoors during that time or wear a net. Strangely the Ozzies seem to tolerate it. lol I will add, it’s not cheap living in Oz, but there are plenty of opportunities to earn good money to have a very decent lifestyle with a fantastic life/work balance. They take “laid back” to whole different level.

Apologies for going WAY off topic. But it keeps me occupied between my trips to the loo, bed and my chair whilst longingly looking out my window with my memories.

Last edited by palwing; Sep 17th, 2020 at 11:39.
palwing is offline   Reply With Quote