Thread: 940 SRS light
View Single Post
Old Jan 11th, 2020, 21:22   #5
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
Could a 95 car have the OBD port in the armrest Dave ? My 96 does
It might have Mark but the Volvo sources i was using suggest it's the underbonnet code reader, the 96 model had the armrest mounted not-quite-OBD connector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Do you know what sort of connector is needed to read the codes Dave?

The one I gave him was from my breaker and I just checked in the video of it starting up, no SRS light on the dash. "New" one has resistance inside like a clock spring where as the old one spins freely.

Now that you have said about it not running through fuse 1 that would make sense, I will see if there is a separate fuse for it and pull that.
https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/ElectricalSRS.html

If it's the one i'm thinking of Luke, you won't need any connectors - have a look at the link there and follow the "1992+" code reading where it explqains about the connector box and the probe and LED under the bonnet near the suspension turrets.

The insides of the roatary coupler are basically a clock spring or 2 to transmit power on different contacts. They're fairly robust and durable until some muppet goes silly on the steering wheel or until they're fitted incorrectly. Ideally when removed, the front wheels should be in the straight ahead position and when removed, a piece of tape should be wrapped round the inner and outer halves to prevent them "unwinding".

If the suspect one spinds freely, it's TARFU.

I couldn't find a separate fuse for the SRS ECU memory, it has power from the ignition switch in positions 2 and 3 but seemingly no other permanent (memory) feed.
I think the only option is to read the codes and reset using the underbonnet box/probe combo.

Fingers crossed there's no damage done to the ECU.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote