View Single Post
Old Jan 14th, 2020, 23:21   #112
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Hi Kev0607
There's no definitive reason for Dice and Vida ownership to cover all cars as the functionality within Vida is car, model year, engine code and gearbox specific and it would take me too long to explain all of the 100s of diagnostics permutations for 16 years worth of Volvo models.
For some, just having the workshop manual, parts catalogue and technical information makes it worthwhile and for others the ability to communicate with up to 30 modules and countless combinations of live data is the selling point and for others it's all of the above.

For me specifically, I've done countless code reads, component activations and testing, climate control calibration, heated seat temperature setting, DRL settings which alone would have cost hundreds at a dealer. I've used the workshop manual to carry out 70+ jobs most of which are documented on my YouTube channel, used the parts catalogue to save a small fortune as it helps you find quality alternatives easily, the list is endless.

As a Dice and Vida owner, I also enjoy helping fellow Volvo owner's who can't afford the kit to at least get their codes read for free and I've done this 30+ times now over the years. In fact I found out about Dice and Vida 6 years ago when another member cleared an SRS fault light for me for free so I've always tried to give back.

Even owners of pre 1999 cars can use Vida for tech info, workshop manuals and the parts catalogue just not diagnostics.

The fact that you can also sell the kit on when you're done and recoup so much of your money back means that the net cost of having Dice and Vida is actually very low.
One of my first buyers to buy a laptop and Dice for £250 sold his Volvos last year and sold the Dice and laptop on eBay for £220 meaning his net cost for 3 years of Dice and Vida was £30.
Given that Dice and Vida are so readily available and reasonably priced, I can't see any reason why a Volvo owner wouldn't have the system.

If you pay a garage for a code read, that's £50-100 of dead money never to be seen again yet people still do it multiple times rather than having their own system which would give them unlimited code reads and priceless data for an affordable price.
Basically, if you DIY, it's a godsend.
Hi cheshired5,

Thank you very much for your reply. I have an S80 & my Dad has a V70, so I think it may be a good thing for us to have Vida/Dice. However, I won't be investing at this present moment in time just after Christmas, but its certainly something I'll consider in the future.

Thanks once again. Oh & before I log off, your YouTube videos are great by the way.